Procedure for Reporting Student Absence
Parent must call the Attendance Office Absent Line at 815-439-5521. The following information should be provided:
Student Name, Reason for Absence and a parent contact number
Note: Parents must call before 11:00 a.m. to insure an excused absence
In accordance with the ILLINOIS SCHOOL CODE and in recognition of the responsibilities imposed upon parents, Plainfield Academy students shall attend school every scheduled school day. School attendance is not optional. Daily attendance and participation will increase the student’s probability for successful performance and foster the development of self-discipline and responsibility. Conversely, absences, repeated tardiness, and truancies can only have a negative effect on the student’s overall classroom experience, and ultimately, the overall success. Time missed from school can never truly be made up; the interaction in the classroom cannot be replicated by doing make-up work.
Students are expected to maintain a 90% attendance rate to stay enrolled at Plainfield Academy. Students at Plainfield Academy shall arrive at school on time according to their assigned district-approved schedule.
A parent or guardian is REQUIRED to notify Plainfield Academy staff of the absence before 11:00 a.m. ON THE DAY OF THE ABSENCE. (815-439-5521) If a telephone call is not received before the required time, the student will be considered unexcused and the parent/guardian will be notified at home or work regarding their child’s absence. Excused absences are considered for:
- Personal illness
- Family emergency
- Pre-arranged absences - Only a 48 hour pre-arranged absence form will be accepted
- Court – Must be pre-arranged and documentation upon arrival to school. Only a 48 hour pre-arranged absence form will be accepted.
A written doctor's note is required in case of three or more consecutive absences.
An unexcused absence is considered for a student when:
- Missing the bus
- Car trouble
- No phone call from parent/guardian before 10:00 am on day of absence.
Students must sign-in or be signed in by a parent or guardian at Door A when late to school or when leaving early. A late arrival to school will adversely affect the students’ overall attendance rate. Students are expected to be at school on time and will be considered tardy if not in attendance after the start of the school day. If a student arrives late to school unexcused:
- The student will be required to make-up work after school that day.
- The student's progress card will negatively reflect the tardy.
- A student is defined as chronically tardy after his/her 3rd tardy to school. Each semester, on the student's FOURTH unexcused tardy to school they will be assigned an after school academic restitution and comprehensive behavior improvement plan.
Students absent from school without their parent’s knowledge and those who demonstrate patterns of unexcused absences will be considered truant.
Definition – "Truant":
A truant is defined as any person under the age of eighteen who is enrolled in Plainfield School District 202 and is absent from attendance from school without the permission of his or her legal guardian(s) or parent(s). Emergency or unforeseen absences, due to illness or other reasonable cause, beyond the control of the person so absenting himself or herself from school without the permission of his or her parent(s) or legal guardian(s), shall not constitute truancy if such permission is obtained from said parent(s) or legal guardian(s) and is submitted in writing to the proper school authorities within twenty-four hours of such absence. However, a written excuse from said parent(s) or legal guardian(s) would not be accepted to leave school for reasons other than medical, familial, or educational emergencies. An example of a non-acceptable excuse would be leaving school for the purpose of obtaining food or drink with the intention of returning to school.
When a student reaches a 95% attendance rate, any or all of the following preventative and proactive measures may be implemented:
- All students receive verbal and written notification of attendance percentage weekly.
- Parent/guardian will receive a phone call notifying them of unexcused absence.
- A certified letter will be sent to parent/guardian.
- Student will be placed on the Plainfield Academy phone tree for a.m. wake-up calls.
- Student will receive a documented morning home visit.
- Parents are contacted for a meeting.
- Student attendance is reported to truancy.
Truancy Probation Contract
A student who reaches a 70% or below attendance rate may be placed on a three week truancy probation letter and/or dropped from the program and/or may be considered for other educational alternatives